Situated about 1.8 km north of Ahlatlıbel, on a mountain slope,Yalıncak (Figure……) has been known since the discovery, in 1880, of a lion relief on a local kind of stone called the “Ankara Stone”.This relief, re-used in the village fountain, was taken to the Ankara Anatolian Civilizations Museum in 1941 (Tezcan, B. 1964: 4).The archaeological remains were subject to destruction caused by the modern and developing village inYalıncak, especially after the 1930’s. With the kind and generous resources allocated by the then Rector of METU, Kemal Kurdaş, excavations were carried out (Tezcan, B. 1964: 3). . Due to the fact that there were no specialists at METU at that time, the excavations were supported by collaboration with experts from the Ankara Anatolian Civilizations Museum (Tezcan, B. 1964: 3). Excavations were supervised by BurhanTezcan between 1962-1964, then the excavations were carried out by Prof. Dr. Cevdet Bayburtluoğlu and Prof. Dr. Sevim Buluç between 19651966.
Late Phrygian period is represented atYalıncak, without an interruption, from 6th century BC onwards. Roman period and the Galatian occupation at the site provided important information for Anatolian archaeological studies.The chronology ofYalıncak can be best followed through its pottery and coin assemblages.
Buildings atYalıncak rectangular, each with two or three adjoining rooms, constructed on a slope. As a result of the inclination the entrance to the houses are provided by couple of steps, by way of stone-paved thresholds (Tezcan, B. 1964: 4-5). Marble architectural features belonging to previous occupations were re-used in building the walls, thresholds and floors. According to the small finds and coins collected from these buildings they were constructed in the Byzantine period, but theYalıncak settlement should have been occupied until Early Ottoman times (Tezcan, B. 1964:4- 5).
On the upper part of the slope, right to the west of the abandoned village houses, a fortification wall built of large limestone blocks in polygonal technique (Figure 8: Sector B) was revealed (Tezcan, B. 1966b: 1-2). A Kybele figurine, terracotta horse figurines, a marble Zeus relief, all re-used in the passages and walls of the fortification terrace, on the floor of the tower and on the threshold point out that these building groups were in use until the end of the Roman period (Tezcan, B. 1964: 6).
Two column caps with traces of red paint and a key with an iron lower half and a bronze upper half, the tips of which are decorated with ram heads are two important finds recovered in a second smaller room right next to the tower structure. Besides buildings with two to three rooms, a large structure with a courtyard and two lines of columns had six column bases. (Figure 9: Sector E) (Tezcan, B. 1964: 8). Of the three coins found here on the floor paving one belongs to Avrelianus (275-270 AD), another to Maximianus (284-308 AD), and the third one to Constantinus (306-337 AD) (Tezcan, B. 1964: 9).The patterns on the coin minted at Apameia (148-133 BC) are especially interesting, the goddess Athena is on the obverse while a flying eagle on a meander and the legend “Apameion” can be seen on the reverse (Tezcan, B. 1964: 9).
Yalıncak excavation works identified the necropolis area as lying immediately to the northeast of the settlement. Here eight inhumation graves, one belonging to a child and seven to adults, were excavated from which two glass bracelets were recovered as grave goods (Tezcan, B. 1964: 9-10).